Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have had a slight cold for a week or so. I have drainage

Hi! I have had a slight cold for a week or so. I have drainage at night, but feel fine during the day. Today, I woke up with one of my eyes crusty. My eye is a little red, but it is getting progressively worse throughout the day. It really does not look bad yet. Is this pink eye of could it be a cold in my eye. What should I do ? Should I seek treatment or wait to see if it gets worse? There is no visible discharge etc. Thanks, Shay
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

The eye is covered by a clear mucous membrane called the conjunctiva. Just as the linings of the nose and throat, the conjunctiva can be inflamed and irritated by the same process. Most often, this is caused by a virus which doesn't need treatment and generally gets better on its own in 1-2 weeks. Chilled artificial tears and cool compresses can provide relief if needed.

If the discharge increases and becomes thicker, it could indicate a bacterial infection in which case antibiotic eyedrops would be helpful.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.