Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Every now and then I get bright stripes floating in my eyes,

Customer Question
sometimes for half an hour...
Every now and then I get bright stripes floating in my eyes, sometimes for half an hour. what would cause that
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
1/5/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

How old are you?

Any previous eye surgery?

Does it affect your vision?

Does it happen with eyes closed also?

I await your reply. Thanks.

Iam 78 years old,had cataract eye surgery about five years ago,yes it affect my vision some what with eyes ope and closed.

I already gave you the answers

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that your are experiencing the symptom of posterior viteous detachment (PVD). This is common with age, and not usually harmful, unless very severe. What happens is that the clear gel (vitreous) inside your eye develops pockets of liquefication (with age) especially close to the back of the eye (retina). If the surface of the vitreous close to the back of the eye detaches, then surface of the vitreous then dangles or moves with change in head position or movement sometimes. With your history of cataract surgery which caused the vitreous to move slightly forward, that may have also increase your risk slightly. Since this is affecting your vision, I suggest that you make appointment to follow-up with your eye doctor for closer evaluation to exclude any retina break close to the area of PVD, as that can create a risk for retina detachment. Overall, PVD is not harmful, and only needs to be monitored by you and your eye doctor.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist