Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I suffer from chronic bloodshot/red eyes - can excessive use

Customer Question
Hi I suffer from chronic...
Hi I suffer from chronic bloodshot/red eyes - can excessive use of Advil/ibuprofen cause this? Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
1/4/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to Just Answer:

How is your vision overall?
Any allergy eye drops?
Hi Overall vision is fine, and great after lasik. I had thought perhaps I developed an allergy to my contacts, after lasik my eyes cleared for about 2 weeks but since then the red/blood-shot eyes have returned, usually I wake up with very dry eyes. I had used over-the-counter meds but feared excessive use, but generally by mid-day they return, making me appear very tired. I have tried using over-the-counter such as Claritin Eye Drops and also from my allergist Pataday and Patanol but it doesn't seem to diminish the problem. I do use quite a bit of advil for sinus headaches and thought maybe that could be a contributor, but any advice for eliminating this is much appreciated.. Thanks for your time

Thank you for your reply.

It appears that you are experiencing frequent red eyes from a combination of dry eyes, ocular allergy and in part excessive use of the OTC advil/ibuprofen. To resolve this, I suggest that you stop any OTC eye drop use especially those advertised to clear redness, as they can make red eyes worse after few hours of use. I suggest that you use preservative free tear drops such as Refresh plus, or Genteal drop 4 times daily. At bedtime, use the gel form (Refresh or Genteal) to help keep your eyes moist and prevent dryness in the morning. For relief of any eye discomfort or itch use Zaditor drop (OTC) - non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drop twice daily. In addition, reduce you use of the Advil and/or other ibuprofen meds. If after 1 week, this fails to resolve, then you will need a closer evaluation by your eye doctor.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm always here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist