Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have a really bad cold. Sore throat and cough..no fever.

Customer Question

I have a really bad cold. Sore throat and cough..no fever. This morning, I awokd with a red eye. I have a prescription for Pred Forte 5ml that I had used one time before. I was going to use it, but I read the accompanying literature and it contraindicates with virus. Is it safe to use? I have had cataract and retinal surgery in the past and don't want to do anything if its not a good idea.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that you are experiencing symptoms of viral conjunctivitis. Until it is certain that there is no secondary bacteria infection after your eye doctor evaluates the eye, I suggest that you hold-off on the pred forte. There are cases when it can be used in EKC virus conjunctivitis to prevent cornea changes from excessive eye infection, but this is only after the eye doctor evaluates the eye. I will suggest that you plan to see your eye doctor to exclude EKC virus conjunctivitis.

At this time, I would suggest that you use Zaditor drop (over the counter) non-steroidal anti-inflammatory 4 times for 1 week to reduce the inflammation; preservative free tear drop (i.e. Refresh plus or Genteal drop) 4 times daily at least 10 minutes each time separating the use of Zaditor to prevent dilution, and finally apply cold compresses 2-4 times daily for 10 to 15 minutes each time. I expect that this will resolve in 10 - 14 days. However, if you are experiencing eye discomfort, pain, yellowish discharge, light sensitivity or decreased vision, I suggest that you follow-up with eye doctor for closer evaluation, especially considering your history of cataract and retinal surgery. Also, avoid touching others with contaminated hands - regular hand washing after touch or wiping your eyes will preventing transmitting this to others.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm always here to assist you until you are satisfied.

I hope this information is helpful. If agree, please press the ACCEPT button for this assist. Thank you so much.

A positive feedback and/or bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

This is for information only and should not replace the recommendation of your doctor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your quick reply. I didn't mention, but also have Tobradex. Is that similar to the Zaditor? I just don't know if I'm up to going out to the drugstore. I do have the Refresh in the house also.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.

Tobradex contains dexamethasone (steriod) and tobramycin (antibiotics). Zaditor is a non-steriod anti-inflammation drop, and different from Tobramycin. If in fact, your eye doctor determine that your eyes can use some steroid drop, Tobradex 4 times daily for 2 days, then 3 times daily for 2 days, then twice daily for 2 days and finally once daily for 2 days, and then stop, would be a good choice, as it contains antibiotics as well. Because steroid drops including Tobradex or pred forte can increase eye pressure, it would be important to monitor your eye pressure while using any of such drops. In the meantime, starting using Refresh and applying cold compresses.

Do not press the accept button again, as you already did before.