Eye

Ask an eye Doctor and get an answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Have had a problem with my eyes for at least 10years.An eye…

Customer Question
Have had a problem with...
Have had a problem with my eyes for at least 10years.An eye specialist stated the oil in my oil glands has bacteria in the glands.Therefore when I blink no oil covers my eye to hold the water from running off causing my eyes to constantly water and burn.Doctor also stated that the oil in the glands is not clear.What can be done to cure this problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
1/2/2010
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

What antibiotics are you taking?
How long have you been taking it?
What eye drops are you currently using using?
its been at least 2 years since Ive taken anything and when I did I didnt notice any difference.Seems like it was something called clear eyes drops.The antibotic that I took was a mild antibotic.Could possibly get name of meds in a few days for you, do not have either with me at this time.
The problem you are describing -- blepharitis -- is fairly common. In most cases, artificial tears and warm compresses is all that is needed. For those individual who have oil gland problems such as yourself, oral antibiotics such as tetracycline or doxycycline for 3-6 months is helpful. For more immediate relief, you may benefit from a corticosteroid eyedrop. You should also continue your artificial tears 4-6 times day to help keep your eyes lubricated.

Since it has been two years since your last treatment, you may benefit from a re-evaluation to assess the severity of your dry eyes. There is another medication called Restasis used twice a day which helps to increase your natural tear production.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question and feel free to ask any additional follow up questions.
Dr. James