How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife had a bloodshot eye yesterday. Today her other eye

Resolved Question:

My wife had a bloodshot eye yesterday. Today her other eye is now bloodshot. She is 45 years old in good shape and NEVER has bloodshot eyes. The bloodshot looks like a red line on one side of her eye.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Does she have any pain or decrease vision?
Does she have any medical problems?
What medicines does she take?
Any abnormal bruising anywhere else on her body?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
She does not have any pain. She has been working out recently and has lost almost 60 pounds over the last year. She works out every day. this is the only new thing in her life, but she feels great. I'm concerned it may be some sort of a warning. The red looks like a thick line on the outside of her eye.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
She likely has a subconjunctival hemorrhage. This happens when delicate blood vessels of the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) burst. This is very similar to a bruise, but redder because there is no skin overyling the blood. The bleeding is usually the result of minor trauma such as coughing or eye rubbing.

Similar to a bruise, subconjunctival hemorrhage may take 1-2 weeks to reabsorb and go away. During that time, it may darken and change colors. That is expected and no need to worry. Worrisome symptoms are pain, decrease vision, or double vision. You should contact your ophthalmologist promptly if these occur.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you