Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

Eyes arw utching and burning. Also experiencing some itching

Eyes arw utching and burning. Also experiencing some itching of skin on head and shoulders, Suspect it may be because I had some shrimp scamp ilast night
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

itching is indeed one of the symptoms of allergic reactions. If it is related to your shelfish intake, it will get better withing 24-48 hours but you benadryl at 25 mg 3 times a day may be beneficial. Cool compresses to the eyes will help reduce the itching sensation and you may purchase some over the counter Naphcon A to reduce the allergic symptoms more. One concern I have is that if it does not get better, and you start to develop a rash on your head, it may be a shingles outbreak. That often has similar symptoms. In that case you need to be seen immediately for treatment. This is also true for any respiratory symptoms that you may develop. I wish you well, Dr. Stevens