Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Can you please tell me why I see patches of yellow in my

visual field? They are...
Can you please tell me why I see patches of yellow in my visual field? They are not seen all the time, but have occurred often enough for me to know I am not imagining them. The color is not solid. It simply gives the area I am looking at a yellow color. My vision is poor although correctable with high index lenses. I wear eyeglasses during the day, and on occassion, contact lenses. Could it be an autoimmune problem?
Thank you for helping me.
12/8/2009
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist

HelloCustomer

How long have you been seeing them?

Do you have any floaters or flashes of light in your vision?

I have seen flashes of light about 2 years ago. The eye surgeon sealed the areas with a laser, and I am not seeing flashes at this time. However, sometimes I see a tiny pin-point of light with my right (functioning eye). They yellow patches began about 2 - 3 months ago and are intermittent.

Was the eye that was lasered was left eye? This time you are having problems with right eye? Is that right?

Both eyes were lasered. My left eye is not truly functional. When I was born prematurely, (50 years ago in London), I received too high a degree of oxygen and the left eye was damaged. It is structurely sound. My right eye does 100 % of the work. My left eye sees movement, color, shape and some degree of peripheral vision. My main concern tonight, is that my right is diseased in some way. That possibility is very serious. Also, I am a 4 year cancer survivor who is under stress at school. My finger joints are showing signs of inflammation, and I have wondered if I am showing signs of diabetes mellitus type 2. Thank you so much for helping me.

It looks like you have a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it may cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear. Another possibility is that since you are a diabetic your sugar levels could be raised because of which you are having this problem in your eye. Yet, another possibility could be diabetic retinopathy. I am not sure whether your eyes were lasered because of diabetic retinopathy(may be pan retinal photocoagulation was done) or there were some weak areas as you also seem to be a myopic because you wear high index lenses. Problems in finger joints could be because of rheumatoid arthritis or diabetic neuropathy. An examination is very important and you must see a doctor. Of course, first you should see an ophthalmologist. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.

Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist