Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I woke up yesterday and my left eyelid was swollen and

I woke up yesterday and my left eyelid was swollen and tender to the touch. my eyeball is fine, not red, not itchy and not weeping. Today when I woke up the swelling was worse. any suggestions?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It could be due to an allergic reaction to something or even because of an insect bite. An oral anti-biotic course may be required. Anti-allergics may also be required. If the swelling is very intense, it is also possible to be due to orbital cellulitis which is an ocular emergency as I/V anti-biotics may be required. Any infection in the adjoining areas like mouth, sinus or ears predisposes to that. It is always better to see an ophthalmologist in person so that an examination can be done. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What are the symptoms of a sty? When I blink it almost feels like I have pulled a muscle. I am not in a city where I have access to a doctor. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

If there is a stye, you will have a painful bump near the lid margin. It could be red and may be filled with pus. Lid swelling may be present but is usually localized. Warm compresses are helpful. An oral anti-biotic course is needed. An anti-biotic eye drop like Vigamox should also be used to prevent eye infection. An anti-biotic eye ointment may also be applied at bedtime. Stye is also a possibility but an examination is recommended. Thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
since i can't get an examination for the next little bit would you recomend a warm compress to relieve the swelling or cold?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Warm cmpresses along with an antibiotic eye ointment. Thanks.