Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I have MS and in one year my vision in one eye went from

I have MS and in one year my vision in one eye went from being correctable to 20/40 to 40/100.
I was told this was a result of decreased blood flow to the eye from the brain. a narrowing of the blood vessel.
Is there any way to reverse this problem?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help me assist you:

Do you see double vision?

Do you have problem with glare or bright light?

How are you eyes pressure?

Any difficulty with color vision between the two eyes?

During the period your vision went from 20/40 to 20/100, did you have additional MS attacks?

I await your reply. Thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no doub;e vision, I do have problems with glare from car lights at night, am sensitive to bright light.
Eye pressure is normal I do have a bit of difficulty distingushing between different hews with the left eye.
Prior to the period I had been on IV steroids for optic neuritis in my left eye,
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank for you your reply.

It is possible that your decreased vision in the left in the past one could also be due to cataract formation, especially with your complaint of glare and light sensitive from car lights at night. One of the major side effects of steriod is the formation of cataract, which can cause significant decrease vision over a short period. So, it is likely that you could recover some of your lost vision, with better than 20/100, after the removal of the cataract. I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor for evaluated as to whether the removal of cataract can improve you vision - it is possible to determine that before the cataract surgery is attempted.

Regarding future therapies to improve vision in the MS, those include the optic nerve (neuroprotection), promotion of remyelination, or use optic nerve transplantation. However, they are all still in the experimental stage at this time.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.
Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i do have a small cateract in the right eye however, i was told after some tests that removal would not help.
Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 7 years ago.

Thank for your reply. Ask your eye doctor or his technicians to recheck your cataract with the glare test. The cataract formed due to the effect of steriod is called posterior subcapsular cataract, unlike the cataract formed due to normal aging process. Without bright light you may do better, but with in glare and bright light your vision is worse. With your history of optic neuritis eye (left) the sensitive to cataract in terms of effect on vision would even be more. The cataract from steroid use can progress fast, so I suggest you follow-up to re-check and this time let them know about the problem with glare and bright light, especially with driving at night. At least you want to reduce the glare and bright light problem.

It was a pleasure to assist you.