Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I had Viterectomy surgery 3 months ago and since then I had

eye fatigue and headache. Specially...
I had Viterectomy surgery 3 months ago and since then I had eye fatigue and headache. Specially when I put on my glasses (new perscription for far sighted) or read for more than 10 min, I get the headache. I apreciate if you can tell me what should I do now ?
12/7/2009
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

Welcome to JA.

Few questions to help me assist you:

Which eye was the vitrectomy?

Did the doctor had to fix a detached retina, or for other purpose?

Was a buckle used?

How long after your sugery did you change you glasses?

Do you see double?

I await your reply. Thanks.
The surgery was PPV for floaters on the right eye.
* No it wasnt any detachment in the retina.
* No the Buckle was not used (as much as I am informed).
* I had the glasses changed from just a week after the surgery.
* And yes ... I see double in my right eye. However, its like a shadow than double. I also wanted to ask about this too. why do I see double and what can I do about it ? is it related to the headaches ?

Based on the information you provided, it appears that you are experiencing eye fatigue on the eye with vitrectomy due to strain and ache in effort to team-up with the better eye. After the vitrectomy, and possibly with oil, there is increased astigmatism in the eye with vitrectomy, causing accommodative strain with focusing. The astigmatism and prescription will gradually change over several weeks before stabling as the eye quiets down and re-adjust. One week was too soon to get new prescription glasses. The double vision is due to the imbalance and teaming difficulty between the two eyes.

In addition, the pressure in the eye with recent vitrectomy should be well controlled, as increase in the eye pressure can affect your focusing, cause fatigue, aches and headaches. However, it is most likely that the increased astigmatism and possibly cataract formation (if you still have your natural lens in the eye with vitrectomy) is responsible for the strain on your eye muscles, hence fatigue, aches and headaches. Therefore, I suggest that your eye doctor (preferably an optometrist who may be more skilled with prism refraction) re-check your prescription and possibly use prism to your addition to your lens to reduce the accommodative strain and eliminated the double vision.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Dr. Stan,
Thank you for the provided answer however, please review my previous reply carefully. I mentioned that I do have double vission but it is only in my right eye not both eyes. The right eye by itself has double vission not when it combines with left eye. How is that formed and how is that related to my headaches ? And what can I do with that ?

Thank you for your reply.

The double vision in the right only is due to the uncorrected significant astigmatism. You see, with significant astigmatism, commonly see post-vitrectmoy, the light rays coming in the eye are focused on multiple points at the retina and/or before retina, thus creating double image. Prism addition and re-checking/correction for all the astigmatism will eliminate that problem. See deal with this problem frequently. The headache comes from strained right eye muscles working very hard to team with the normal left eye.

It was a pleasure to assist you.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist