Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Blood in the sclera next to iris. what is this from and what

Customer Question
blood in the sclera next...
blood in the sclera next to iris. what is this from and what do i do to remedy?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Hello there

You have what we refer to as a subconjunctival hemorrhage. While its appearance can be alarming, it isn't a serious problem. It happens when a blood vessel in the conjunctiva (the white part of the eye) breaks and releases blood. This often tends to occur after frequent sneezing, coughing, straining, after rubbing the eye or for no apparent reason. It tends to happen more frequently in people who have high blood pressure or you use blood thinning medicines, such as asprin, motrin, plavix, vitamin e, coumadin, among others. The blood will be resorbed into the body within a week or so. There is nothing you can do to make it go away sooner. Often, there is a sensation of the eye feeling slightly full, mild scratchiness or a pressure sensation and using artificial tears can help with this symptom. I hope you find this helpful, I wish you well, and do not hesitate to ask any further questions, Regards ***** *****

This link has a picture of a very small hemorrhage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subconjunctival_hemorrhage

Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist