Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My left eye sees at a 15-20 degree angle to my right eye.

Customer Question
This is a fairly recent...
my left eye sees at a 15-20 degree angle to my right eye. This is a fairly recent issue.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Do you mean double vision or decrease field of vision?
When did you notice this?
When was your last exam?
Do you have glaucoma?

I have Double Vision and often have to close one eye to read.

I noticed this maybe a year ago.

My last exam was several years ago.

No glaucoma.

It appears you have double vision due to a misalignment of the eyes. Many people can have a pre-existing misalignment and are able to compensate for it for many years ("phoria"). Over time, these phorias can decompensate and cause double vision.

Another cause can be due to nerve damage. One nerve, the 4th cranial nerve is particularly vulnerable to injury especially with a bad hit to the head or fall. You can also have nerve injury due to blockage of the blood vessels feeding the nerve. This is related to cholesterol, hypertension, and advanced age.

The most common would be a decompensation of a pre-existing phoria that I mentioned earlier. I recommend you call your eye doctor for confirmation or schedule an exam since it was several years ago. Prisms in your glasses can help fuse the two images together to take away the double vision.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Dr. James
Dr. James