Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

I have Herpes . It all started with a cold sore,(at least I

I have Herpes . It all started with a cold sore,(at least I thought it was).
My Doctor prescribed Acyclovir 400mg taking two (2) per day. I still have breakouts but they are milder.Now, yesterday, the inner corner of my right eye. I felt a small hard ball. It's in the corner. My question is "will that damage my eye"? Will I go blind? Thanks,
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Hello Customer,

It is very important to examine you to answer this question. Herpes could be recurrent in nature. It can cause damage to the eye. It can even make the person go blind. However, it can be treated. So, it is important that you see an ophthalmologist. Herpes can affect many structures in the eye including lids, conjunctiva, cornea etc. So, an ophthalmologist should have a look at your eye. You may or not require acyclovir eye ointment along with lubricating eye drops. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

To read more about herpes infection in the eyes, you can follow this link -

http://www.medicinenet.com/herpes_of_the_eye/article.htm