Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Excessive eye blinking

Customer Question
excessive eye blinking
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Eye
12/1/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 7 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Is it one eye or both eyes?
When did this start?
What have you tried?
Any change in vision?
It is only in the right eye it started about 5 years ago I have not tried any treatment and there is no change in vision

The term for excessive blinking is called blepharospasm. There is a condition called Benign Essential Blepharospam which occurs in about 1 out of 300 people over 40 years old. This can be very bothersome and can be treated with botox injections. The blepharospam is usually present in both eyes however.

Having it in only one eye as in your case is more concerning. There is another condition called Hemifacial Spasm. This is caused by irritation of the 7th cranial nerve which controls the facial muscles on one side of the face. Often, the nerve irritation is due to compression of the nerve by a blood vessel. MRI is often needed in these cases. Because of your excessive blinking on one side, I recommend you see an ophthalmologist for evaluation of hemifacial spasm with possible MRI.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James