Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I am planning Cataract Surgery. I would like your opinon on

I am planning Cataract Surgery. I would like your opinon on Multifocal versus Monofocal intraocular lenses. What are the disavantages and advantages? Will the Multifocal be as clear, will they have to be in both eyes to work properly and does it take some tme to make the Multifocal focus? Is the best Multifocal lense Crystalens? If one does not mind to wear reading glasses would Monofocal lenses be a better choice for having a better result for a clearer vision. I guess I am concerned that Multifocal lenses may not yet be as successful and proven as Monofocal lenses. What choice would you make for yourself and if Multifocal what type---Crystalens or Restor or Rezoom or Array or ??
Thank you,
Bob
Madison, NJ
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Do you mind wearing glasses?
Which lens does your ophthalmologist recommend?
What type of activities do you do that are important to you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Hi, I would like to elimate glasses but If The Monofocal will produce the better and safer result than I guess I would forego the Multifocal lense. My doctor at present just presented the option and stated the only draw back for Multifocal lense is that insurance will not cover the cost of Multifocal lense thus a $1800.00 charge above insurance. The costs is not an issue for me anyhow I did find out that my insurance will pay for Multifocal lenses.

My activities are Golf and I spend alot of time on the computer trading in the stock market on line.

Thank You, Bob

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
What are the disavantages and advantages?

Multifocal lenses are more expensive as you mentioned and not always covered by insurance. Besides expense, multifocal lenses may cause problems with glare and halos, especially with night time vision. The vision with a multifocal lens is not as clear due to a loss of contrast. The advantage is that you are less dependent on glasses.

Will the Multifocal be as clear, will they have to be in both eyes to work properly and does it take some tme to make the Multifocal focus?

The multifocal lens is slightly less clear due to the loss of contrast sensitivity. The trade off is increase depth of field to allow you to see better up close.

Is the best Multifocal lense Crystalens?

Crystalens is slightly different than the multifocal lens. The lens is hinged to allow it to move forward slightly. Because it does not have the multifocal designed of the other lenses, it does not have as much problems with glare and halos. It depends on who you ask regarding with is the best.

If one does not mind to wear reading glasses would Monofocal lenses be a better choice for having a better result for a clearer vision.

Yes, if you do not mind wearing reading glasses, monofocal are by far the better choice for vision and currently the standard.

I guess I am concerned that Multifocal lenses may not yet be as successful and proven as Monofocal lenses. What choice would you make for yourself and if Multifocal what type---Crystalens or Restor or Rezoom or Array or ??

At this time, my personal choice would be the standard monofocal lens.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.