How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr.S Riaz Your Own Question
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2822
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr.S Riaz is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mass of large floaters in my left eye. I just

This answer was rated:

I have a mass of large floaters in my left eye. I just learned yesterday that I have blockage of carotid arteries, and wondered if there is a connection? I am scheduled for carotid surgery next month, but the floaters are very bothersome.
Are there any flashes of light as well?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, just large bothersome floaters. I am sensitive to light, somewhat though, and my eyelids seem to sag a little, but I am not sure. My worst carotid blockage is in my right artery, but the large floaters are in the left eye.
You are more likely to have a posterior vitreous detachment. It does not seem to be related to carotid artery blockage as floaters is not considered to be associated with carotid artery stenosis. It is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light(not necessary) and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear.
Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Dr.S Riaz and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you