Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Seven months ago i was diagnosed as having cataracts by an

Customer Question
Optometric Physician.Another visit 2 months...
Seven months ago i was diagnosed as having cataracts by an Optometric Physician.Another visit 2 months later to the same people confirmed that they had gone worse.
Two days ago i saw an Optometrist with a large company who said i did NOT have cataracts.
Since being first diagnosed i have been on a strict diet advised for those with with cataracts or for the slowing down of them.
Can cataracts be reversed?What am i to do visit yet another optician?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
11/5/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

I'm Dr. Stan. I will be assisting with your question.

How is your vision at this time?

is your current vision affecting your daily activity?

Did any of the Optometrists check your glasses, and could not improve it?

What symptoms of visual problem are you having at this time? glare? double?

hazy?

Do you feel that the change in vision is bad enough to do something about it?

If cataract surgery would improve you current vision, is it somethhing you would consider?

Any other medical problem? Diabetes? Hypertension? glaucoma?

Did you vision improve since you started the diet?

After I receive your answers, I will evaluate and give you good information to assist you.

My sight as not got any worse in the last 5/6 months.

Again as it was around 5/6 months ago.

My vision is not effecting my daily activities,i use glasses to read only.

I use over the counter glasses to read.the first Optometrist said glasses would not help me with cataracts and the second said i needed bifocals/varyafocals due to me being...far sighted.

I am having slightbouble/hazy vision.

I feel i can manage with my sight as it is..

I feel if cataract surgery would definately/positivly improve my vision i would have it done.

I have no other medical problems.

I feel it may have very very slightly improved since dieting.

I am amazed that two such highly qualified people can not agree whether i have or have not got cataracts.......Thank you ***** *****versidge

Thank you for your reply.

First, diets that are fortified with antioxidants can slow cataract formation, but would not reverse the already formed cataract. It's possible that you are seeing a little better now due to the early change in your natural lens refractive index as a result of the early development of cataract.

Since you are farsighted, hardening of the lens from cataract (during the early stages only) can cause light rays coming into your eye to be bent more, and therefore making you need little or no lens power (for distance view) from glasses to focus the images exactly on the back of the eye (retina) where the images are processed. For reading closing, you may even find yourself needing less of lens power. This phenomenon is called "second sight" of early cataract development.

However, in dim light you may have more problem and haze, as well as in glare (very bright light). The slight double vision and/or ghost image that you notice sometimes may reflect the non-homogeneous nature of cataract formation in the lens. The differences in the density of of the lens from the cataract effect, causing differences in the focusing/bending of the of light rays as they pass the lens.

I would suggest that since you can tolerate your vision now to wait until you feel a real need. However, if you find a very good eye surgeon, the removal of the cataract these days takes less than 15 minutes per eye (both eyes are usually done 1-2 weeks apart depending on the surgeon), with excellent vision. The important thing is to use an experienced eye surgeon.

So, without any rush, make appointment and see an eye surgeon. Note that the window period for the "second sight" can be anywhere from 6 months to 1 year, then the vision will deteriorate faster. Now, the extent to which the diet will slow the process down, I cannot speculate. I trust that you would do well.

I hope that this information is help. If you agree, please click the ACCEPT button. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.

Is there any reason why the highly qualified second Optomitrist did not diagnose cateracts if indeed i do have them,,,thank you ***** *****versidge
Thank you so much. I cannot really answer why the optometist could not diagnose it. He may have felt that your cataract was not significant to warrant surgery at this time, which could well be the case, especially if you do not complain of significant visual impairment from the cataract. May God bless. Please, click the ACCEPT button. This will enable me get credit for assisting you. Thanks again.
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist

This is Dr. Stan. I would appreciate your pressing the ACCEPT button so the I can get credit for assisting you. Thank you so much. God bless.

Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist