Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My mother had cateract surgery on her eyes at a age, 49 yrs.

My mother had cateract surgery on her eyes at a young age, 49 yrs. old. She is now 85 and at the time she had surgery, they were not yet implanting lens in the eye at the time of surgery. She has worn contact lens all these years. My question is this. After 36yrs, could she now have lens implanted so that she would not need the contact lens?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.

Hello there

it is indeed possible to get an implant, but it really depends on the overall health of her eye and the kind of damage that may have occurred to her pupil during the initial surgery and the shape of her cornea. It is best to get in with an ophthalmologist who does secondary IOL implants and see what they think. It is quite a bit more involved than a cataract procedure so she would also be able to withstand a longer surgery. Lots to ponder when it comes to this question and it all depends on her overall health and eye health. I wish her well, Dr. Stevens