Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

My daughter has FEVR and has lost the vision in her left eye

My daughter has FEVR and has lost the vision in her left eye after her retina detached. Now the scarring i her right eye is affecting her central vision. Her Retinal Specialist is recommending removing the scarring. Is this the preferred treatment? I am in Canada and am willing to travel to get the best solution to gaining back or even maintaining her vision.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Yes if the scarring is centrally on the cornea and it is affecting the vision then your daughter can go for keratoplasty. But before that it has to be ensured that the retina of this eye is fine so that after the surgery the vision is good. Since the retina of other eye is detached this is a good option to give your daughter vision. Thanks.

Follow-up questions, if any, are most welcome.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Keratoplasty is for the cornea, what about the scarring on her retina?
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.

Are you sure the scarring is on retina? If that is the case then you should get that also done but the prognosis may not be that good. It must be involving the macula as your doctor is saying that it is involving the central area. It could be an ERM or something. However, I also feel that you should go ahead with this surgery though you can get a second opinion from a retina specialist by visiting him in person as examination is important. Thanks.