Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 42 years old, I have inflammation in my retina in both

Customer Question
eyes which is blocking my...
I am 42 years old, I have inflammation in my retina in both eyes which is blocking my central vision. Symptoms are the same as macular degeneration. Is there a way to treat this in a more permanent way than getting injections in my eyes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
11/1/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist

Does your doctor know what the cause of the inflammation is?
What are the names of the injections your doctor is using?

They have not been able to identify the cause of the inflamation by taking a blood test and said that this is not uncommon. As it is Sunday, I cannot call the Dr office to be sure but I think the injections are called Lucentis.

Lucentis is used to treat the wet form of macular degeneration. It is termed "wet" because abnormal blood vessels grows through breaks in a protective layer (Bruch's membrane) and can bleed under the retina.

You are young to have macular degeneration. There are other condtion that can cause breaks in Bruch's membrane and result in the same abnormal blood vessel growth and bleeding. High degree of nearsightedness and trauma to the eye are common causes. Other connective tissue disease can have a similar appearance as well.

Lucentis is the best treatment we have for wet macular degeneration and similar diseases. There is a similar medicine called Avastin from which Lucentis was develop. If there is siginificant inflammation, then injections of corticosteroids can help in addition to the Lucentis.

It appears you are receiving the best care. If the inflammation is related to an infection, then there usually is more pain and inflammation inside the eyes. In this case, Lucentis does not work to treat the inflammation. Ask you doctor if he thinks it is due to an infection as that may require different treatment.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James