How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Extreme eye irritation caused by perfumes, hair spray,

Customer Question

extreme eye irritation caused by perfumes, hair spray, mildew. I have tried nasal sprays and several eye drops (regular tears, antihistamine, ophacon) with no relief. Allergy specialist called it rhinuitis.
Appreciate anything that will help!! It's been going on for 3 yrs....
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Have you been seen by an ophthalmologist?
What are the sources of the irritants you list? (work? family?...)
Do you have symptoms everyday?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have seen an optomologist, an internal medicine specialist, an allergist, and an ENT specialist. No ophthalmologist.

Sources - family, work, church, crowds of people. When problem occurs, i am very sensitive to sunlight.

When i am not having problems, i can work outside without problems usually. Tonight while playing with grandchild on carpet my eyes swell and burn. Eye drops, natural tears, provide temporary relief. Opcon_A provide temporary relief for a short period if i can get away from irritants.

My wife's hair spray causes my eyes to burn and swell and turn red.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
It seems you've had an extensive evaluation already. Allergy of the eyes usually have clear discharge, possible crustiness of the eyelids, burning symptoms. Since you already know the causative irritants, you should do your best to avoid them. Some allergens are just unavoidable. You may talk your allergist about densensitization treatments. It may help for you to see an ophthalmologist. For acute symptoms, steroid eye drops will help. This should be prescribed under the supervision of an ophthalmologist since it can increase eye pressure or cause cataract formation.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your inputs. What you have told me is the same info i have received to date from the physicians I have seen. Unfortunately, none of it seems to work when i have this problem.