Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

I HAVE CONSTANT SWELLING IN MY UPPER EYELID, BUT NO PAIN AND

Customer Question

I HAVE CONSTANT SWELLING IN MY UPPER EYELID, BUT NO PAIN AND REDNESS ALL ALONG THE LOWER LID. I HAVE TRIED BABY SHAMPOO, COMPRESSES YOU NAME IT TO NO AVAIL.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Is it both upper lids or just one?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IT IS PREDOMINATELY MY RIGHT EYE. NOT VERY OFTEN I WILL HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE LEFT LIDS, BUT IT SEEMS TO BE CONSTANT IN LEFT EYE.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

It doesn't sound the like problem is an infectious one since you have been taking antibiotics. It sounds more like an allergy/sinus problem. Sinus infections or inflammation can often spread onto the eyelids since they are adjacent tissue. Sometimes, if you tend to favor one side while sleeping, this side will get it worse.

You need to get some allergy meds and/or medrol dose pack, along with claritin to try to get the swelling down.

If these don't work, you may need a biopsy as rarely other things can cause swelling, such as sarcoidosis.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER. I NEGLECTED TO MENTION THAT I HAVE HAD PERIODIC STYES IN BOTH EYES, BUT NOT FOR A WHILE JUST THE PROBLEM I MENTIONED.
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.

Allergy and sinus problems can lead to styes as well.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

THANK YOU DR. CHAN,

YOU ARE THE FIRST OPTHAMOLOGIST WHO HAS MENTIONED THAT MY PROBLEM COULD BE RELATED TO ALLERGIES.

I AM MOST GRATEFUL.

DENNIS

Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 7 years ago.
You're welcome.