How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

12 year old girl lives in India has bleeding from the eyes

Resolved Question:

12 year old girl lives in India has bleeding from the eyes 1/2 cup at a time. Has been to many MD's in India no explanations and has no other symptoms
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

Is this in one eye or both eyes?
Any pain?
Any signs of a source on examination?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
both from what was relayed
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
The first step is to look for a source of bleeding and any evidence of trauma. Since the patient has been to many doctors, it appears they could not find any explanation. The bleeding source is likely for a vascular anomoly such a a hemangioma. Imaging of the area around the eye would be help such as a CT with contrast.

Please press accept if my answer has been helpful. Follow-up questions and clarificiations welcomed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This was done nothing conclusive, no trauma
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Is this child still in India?
Have you seen the patient?
Can you restate your question about this case again?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No I have not seen she lives in India

Are there any rare diseases that may cause this

Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Not that I am aware of. The problem is likely in the lacrimal gland which makes tears. A lacrimal gland biopsy may help. There was a story on CNN regarding a boy who cries tears which is similar to what you are describing. It may be a new condition.

Please accept if this is helpful.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you