Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Ive been wearing my contacts for three or four months and

I've been wearing my contacts for three or four months and didn't sanitize them when I put them in yesterday morning. I forgot to take them out last night and slept with them in. This morning I woke up with really dry eyes, sensitive to light, and I felt cross-eyed. It got slightly better throughout the day, but is getting worse now. I've put in re-hydrating drops and they don't seem to help. I don't know what type of contacts I have and can't find out, as I'm staying with a friend for the week. Is this serious? Should I seek medical help, or will I recover on my own?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.

What is the brand of your contact lenses?
Do you mean you have worn them continuously (day and night) for the last 3-4 months?
Do you still have them in?
Do you have glasses?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't remember the brand and cannot find out because I'm staying with a friend for the week. I realize that makes it hard to answer the question, but is there any brand of contact that can damage your eye long-term in this situation?
No, I have worn them during the day only for the last 3-4 months. I only left them in last night overnight by accident.
I removed them this morning, and yes, I have glasses.

I wore them overnight accidentally once before, and they hurt in the morning but felt better within three hours. I'm concerned I have kept the same contacts for so long that they are permanently damaging my eyes now that I've slept with them in.

Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. James replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Most contact lenses these days are disposable (1 day, 2 week, 1 month, and so on). This just tells you the the sturdiness of the lenses and how long they will last until they need replacement. The most common replacement schedule is 2 weeks or 1 month.

Your eyes are red likely because of overwear and oxygen deprivation of the eye. This is due to a combination of the age of the lens and sleeping in them overnight. This can cause swelling of the cornea resulting in blurry vision as well as pain, light sensitivity. The first step is the take off the contact lenses and moisten your eyes. Most cases of contact lens overwear will resolve with time. Steroid eye drops may help it resolve quicker.

Another consideration is a corneal infection. It is uncommon to have this occur in both eyes at once, but possible. Corneal infections need to be treated as soon as possible. For that reason, it is important for you to see an eye doctor for evaluation and make sure there is no infection.

Remember to press the green ACCEPT button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you. Feel free to ask any additional questions.