Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My right eye feels like it is sunburned ( it is not) most of

my right eye feels like it is sunburned ( it is not) most of time. I use dry eye drops with little relief
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 7 years ago.
Hello there
do you wear contact lenses? do they run or tear? what exactly are the symptoms you are having?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no contacts, no tearing or running, no redness. One eye- one side of on eye (just outside of pupil on right eye- feels tight and painful. Showering helps for a few minutes, lubricating drops also helps for a bit. I am now trying the lubricating gel at night. Last eye exam less than 4 months ago with no problems. ( Just a need to increase strength on reading glasses, but no other corrective eyeware.) Event ongoing for weeks. I live in Alaska so no chance of sunburn, but have sunburned my eyes prior and this is what it feels like.
HelloCustomer
The symptoms you list along with the lack of tearing, suggest that you are suffering from classical dry eye. This is further supported by the fact that you get some relief with the use of artificial tears. In people with classical dry eye syndrome, tear production is low. The use of daytime artificial tears such as Refresh Celluvisc and nighttime ointment, such as Refresh PM is crucial. There are some patients who have such a low level of tear production that they need something called Restasis. This is a medicine that acts at the lacrimal gland and allows you to make more tears. Also, punctal plugs may be considered. These are small silicone plugs that are placed into the tear sac opening which normally carries our tears away and allows the moisture to be retained on the surface of the eye. These are all tools in our arsenal to help reduce the symptoms of dry eye syndrome.
Take care and let me know if there is any more questions or concerns.
Sincerely ***** *****