Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

When I enter a dark room from a bright area.. I see a flash

Customer Question
of light.. OR when I...
When I enter a dark room from a bright area.. I see a flash of light.. OR when I swith off the lights suddenly and the room grows dark.. I see flashes of light.. I also see heat waves in my eyes, shich resolve when I go to brightly lit areas.. what am ai suffering from?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
9/9/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
How long has this been going on? Do you see any floaters / dark spots that move back and forth in your vision ?

There are floaters present in my vision.. because I am a high myope and have also had laser work done in both eyes. I also have a buckle put in my right eye.. because of an RD in my right eye. Vision is 20/20 in both eyes. BUT I underwent a LOT of stress during that period.

I have started noticing these flashes of light when I enter rooms/areas of dimmer light, after 2 weeks of the RD taking place.

Note; These flashes of light also come about when I Close my eyes. They then dissipate rapidly.

I have read about opthalmic migraines and my symnptoms match , EXCEPT for the flashes of ligth when I enter a dark area. (even going from a brightly lit road into a tunnel causes them to appear).

PS: I hope they are not something more serious and neurological line ON or MS. (I am a 30 yr old male from India)

Kinny
ophthalmic migraines can be something that you are experiencing. These are benign in nature, and typically are described as flickering lights, wavy lines, kaleidoscope like images. Given your extensive ocular history, I am concerned that you may be experiencing further retinal damage. You see when you go from dark to light, and light to dark, the pupil and iris all change their shape and can pull on the retina in a subtle manner causing the flashes. My recommendation is to get in with your retina specialist and have him do a thorough dilated exam looking at the retina. If this is done and retina is healthy, then I would think you are safe and these symptoms should resolve in due time. I dont think the symptoms are consistent with anything like MS or other neurologic disease. I wish you the best Kinny, Regards *****
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist

Thank you very much Doctor.. I had a detailed retina exam only yesterday .. and they told me all was well.

Kinny
if you had a detailed exam, great. Just be aware of the flashes and watch for an increase in frequency or the development of new floaters in either eye. Either of these should prompt you to go in for a repeat exam within 24 hours. I wish you the best, ***** *****
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist