Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I get migraines sometimes and when I do I experience the

Customer Question
typical vision changes, i.e. blind...
I get migraines sometimes and when I do I experience the typical vision changes, i.e. blind spot and spinning or whirling spot. The last few months, though, I've been having the blind spot without a headache once in a while. Sometimes it's near the time of a migraine; yesterday I had a migraine and it's over today but all day I've been experiencing a blind spot. It's certainly not a floater as it doesn't move and this is exactly the same blind spot that I would get before a migraine. I would appreciate any information; thank you! Julie
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
How long has that blind spot been there? Is it enlarging? When was your last eye exam?
It comes and goes. Right now it's been there since this morning. It's been happening for the last few months off and on. It stays the same size. Last eye exam was early this year.
Thank you for the additional information.

Ocular migraines tend to start small in the periphery, then enlarge over the next half hour, then start to fade away. Some people describe them as zig-zag lines or looking through cracked glasses. These symptoms are not always followed by a headache. The intermittent and transient nature of your blindspot may be due to your ocular migraines. Ocular migraines do not generally need treatment unless they are frequent and bothersome to you.

Because the blindspot is not entirely typical, however, I would recommend you get a dilated eye exam to view the macula and look for any structural causes of your blind spot.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James