Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

There appears to be a small piece of dirt or lint that is

Customer Question
floating to the left side...
There appears to be a small piece of dirt or lint that is floating to the left side of my left eye--and clearly is not there; it moves around the left side of my vision on its own. Do I need to be concerned?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/8/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
When did you first notice it?
Do you have any flashing lights in that eye?
Any shadow or dark curtain in the periphery if your vision?
.

I noticed it about three weeks ago.

No flashing lights in either eye.

No shadow or dark curtain in the periphery of my vision.

Thanks.

What you are describing is a floater. You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, it liquifies and can sometimes clump together. When you look in the light, you can somtimes see the shadows of these things. Floaters are generally not a problem, though they can be annoying.

Sometimes new floaters can be an indication of a retinal problem, such as a retinal hole or tear. It is recommended you have have a full dilated eye exam to check for any problems with your ophthalmologist or optometrist.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you.

--------------------------
Disclaimer: Information provided is for educational purposes only and does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.
Dr. James
Thanks for your reply--exactly the type of information I needed.
Dr. James
Dr. James