Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have extreme burning in one eye and strings of mucous that

Customer Question
when I pull them out...
I have extreme burning in one eye and strings of mucous that when I pull them out relieve the pain somewhat. I have used patanol and several eye drops for dry eye with no relief.

Help! Marilyn
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
9/6/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Hello Marilyn
<br /> do you wear contact lenses? have you tried any antibiotics at all?

Yes, I wear contact lenses. It has been going on for 2 1/2 months. I am using patanol, Soothe and Systane drops. I am also using erythromyci8n ointment and I just started using Bausch and Laumb Relief eye wash. I have not used any antibiotics.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn
you describe mucous strings, which is what we see when there is underlying dry eyes. Your contact lens use contributes to this also. In people with classical dry eye syndrome, tear production is low. The use of daytime artificial tears such as Refresh Celluvisc and nighttime ointment, such as Refresh PM is crucial.   There are some patients who have such a low level of tear production that they need something called Restasis. This is a medicine that acts at the lacrimal gland and allows you to make more tears.   Also, punctal plugs may be considered. These are small silicone plugs that are placed into the tear sac opening which normally carries our tears away and allows the moisture to be retained on the surface of the eye. These are all tools in our arsenal to help reduce the symptoms of dry eye syndrome.
Take care and let me know if there is any more questions or concerns.
Sincerely ***** *****
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Is there a time frame for relief? Some days I just want to tear my eye out.

Marilyn
Marilyn
If possible, try to reduce your use of contact lenses on a daily basis, definitely avoiding overnight use. You are doing the right things already, I think you may also find some relief with something called Celluvisc, this is an over the counter preservative free artificial tear.   I think I would next consider prescribing restasis. Typically within 4 to 6 weeks folks begin to feel some relief. I hope this points you in the right direction, I wish you well, Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist