Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
14102772

My 7 year old daughter has been complaining of headaches

Customer Question

My 7 year old daughter has been complaining of headaches frequently and stating that she sometimes see's "two of things" at a distance (for instance, people may look like they have a head and another half of a head). I called her doctor who recommended a pediatric ophthalmologist. I called and could not get an appointment for six months! So I decided in the meantime to take her to a vision center and just have a basic exam done.

The doctor examined her and stated that she was farsighted and needed glasses. He stated that she needed +1.75 in one eye and +2.0 in the other eye and had a slight astimatism (sp?). I got home and started looking further on the internet and read all sorts of opposing comments that most kids are farsighted and don't really need glasses. I was told by this doctor that she needed to wear glasses all of the time.

Does this sound correct? or should I wait until we go to the ophthalmologist in December?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr.S Riaz replied 7 years ago.
No, she can wear glasses now that she is 7 years of age. Her double vision could be because of the astigmatism that she is having. Wearing right prescription of glasses may solve that problem as well. The other possibility for double vision could be a squint for which an orthoptic assessment is required either by a pediatric ophthalmologist or an orthoptist. Even if a squint is the cause, it may get corrected by a right prescription. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS OPHTHALMOLOGY (KING GEORGES' MEDICAL UNIVERSITY, LUCKNOW, INDIA), FELLOWSHIP TRAINED
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 7 years ago.
The symptoms of diplopia (double vision) along with an evaluation by an Ophthalmologists suggests that your daughter does need glasses. The information you got at the internet is misleading. Anyone (child or an adult) who needs glasses should use them. In children it is more important. This is because the vision in the retina of the eye is developing till around 10 years of age. If during that age the correction is not given then there might be suppression of vision which is called amblyopia. If amblyopia occurs in a patient, then it would not be possible to improve the vision of the child to 20/20 if she crosses the age group.
So, you should definitely give her the prescribed glasses and keep the regular follow up as required.
Regards