Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am seeing a fixed dot in the exact center of vision. It's

I am seeing a fixed...
I am seeing a fixed gray dot in the exact center of vision. It's not a floater because it is always in exactly the same place. I noticed it suddenly about two days ago. Any ideas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/4/2009
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
How old are you?
With which eye are you seeing it?
Hello. I'm 60 and it is only in the left eye.
Does it look like an insect or a web like thing?
It has a center dot, not extremely well-defined, with some lighter dots around it, which are not as noticible. I don't think you would say it looks like an insect. Possibly more like a web.
There are 2 possibilities. It could be due to a posterior vitreous detachment which is a normal ageing change. The vitreous gel in the posterior part of the eye liquifies with age and shrinks. As it shrinks, it may cause traction on the retina which may lead to flashes of light and floaters in the eye. Usually, it goes uneventful, but sometimes it amy cause a retinal tear which can lead to retinal detachment and serious loss of vision. So, a person with these symptoms must get a dilated fundus examination to rule out any retinal tear.

The other possibility is cataract especially because you say that it is fixed. Thanks.

Please, click the ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get my dues. BONUS and a POSITIVE FEEDBACK will be appreciated.
It's definitely fixed. Would a cataract become noticable so quickly? It was not there one day and the next day it was there.
Cataract develops gradually but small areas in the lens become opaque like this and it is very likely that it is due to cataract. Though I would still like you to rule out posterior vitreous detachment. Thanks.!

Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz
Dr.S Riaz, Ophthalmologist