Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

My boyfriend poked himself in the eye really hard. the of

Customer Question
my boyfriend poked himself in...
my boyfriend poked himself in the eye really hard. the white of his eye has a big blood spot on it, and its been hurting badly for a couple of hours. he doesnt have insurance. what should we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
9/2/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
What did he poke himself in the eye with? Does he have any change in vision?
his fingernail. there was some force behind it, because he was pulling on something and slipped off of it and all the force went into his eye. his can see, but it is really painful to open his eye, so he hasn't been opening it. it is full of tears.
Your boyfriend likely has a corneal abrasion and subconjunctival hemorrhage. A corneal abrasion is a scratch on the surface of the eye. This will generally heal in 1-2 days. Until then, there is likely to be significant pain. Ibuprofen and tylenol can help. He should also use an eye ointment to lubricate the eye. Because he was poked with his finger nails, which can have bacteria, it is recommended that you is started on a fluoroquinolone type antibiotic for prevention of an infection. This unfortunately requires a doctors prescription and trip the the urgent care.

The subconjunctival hemorrhage is similar to a bruise and will go away over 1-2 weeks weeks. It does not need any treatment.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Best wishes to you and your boyfriend.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James