How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a clear jelly like mass in the inside corner of my eye.

This answer was rated:

I have a clear jelly like mass in the inside corner of my eye. I usually wear contacts, but haven't been since I the mass appeared.. it's uncomfortable, and kind of bumpy now. When I wake up in the morning it seems to be worse. It's almost like the top layer of cornea is lifting and when I turn my head, it partially comes to my iris. I called eye doctor to make an appointment and receptionist said I need to seem my primary care physician???
Do you have any eye pain? When did this occur? Any redness?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I noticed the "jelly like" stuff on Wednesday, but it could have been there longer. no redness. Today it hurts some, kind of a burning sensation. Feels a little raw. When I look to the right it pulls a bit. It itched a little yesterday.. but now it's more painful, but not severe
Thank you for the additional information.

The jelly-like area you are noticing is likely an area of of chemosis (or swelling of the conjunctiva). This could have related to irritation from the contact lenses or allergies.

I recommend you continue to stay out of your contact lenses. If it is chemosis, it should resolve on its own. Continue the artficial tears and cool compresses to help with the irritation.

Please press the accept button if my answer was useful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How long would you think it would take for this sort of thing to heal? and/or how long should I wait before I seek more medical attention?
Since you notice it wednesday, I would have expected to begin to get better by now. You can also try some over the counter antihistamine eyedrops as well (such as Zatidor). I recommend you call your doctor Monday or Tuesday to have it looked at.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you.. one more question, do you think I should see my eye doctor? the receptionist was giving me the runaround...
Yes, the eye doctor is preferable.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you.. that's what I would've thought. I appreciate your help.
You're welcome. Smile