Dr. Chan
Dr. Chan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified in ophthalmology
17282639

Yesterday my rt. eyelid itched during the day. At night

Yesterday my rt. eyelid itched during the day. At night around 11 pm, I noticed that my eyes had swollen. My rt. eye more so than the left.   Thinking it may be an allergic reaction of some kind, I took 25 mg. of diphenhydramine last night and 10mg. of loratadine (claritin) around 10:40 am this morning. (I live in NY, where it is currently 2:20pm.) I haven't noticed much change, if any. What should I do at this point? If the swollness was an allergic reaction, shouldn't it have gone away or at least decreased by now? What else could've caused my eyes to swell? Would it be okay to try to bring the swelling down with ice cubes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

It sounds like an allergic reaction. It may take longer for the antihistamine to work. I usually do recommend cool compresses. You can take another antihistamine in 6 hours (unless you have to work). Otherwise, if it does not resolve in 12 hours, you may need steroids.

The other thing it could be would be an infection (from a stye or insect bite). These are usually red and hot.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Does it matter which antihitamine I take? Claritin says to take once a day? Is two a day ok?
Expert:  Dr. Chan replied 8 years ago.

Benadryl seems to work best for me; although it can make some people drowsy. Claritin works better on chronic sinus problems than on acute allergic reaction like what you have.