Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Recently 3 Chinese miners were rescued after being buried

recently 3 Chinese miners were rescued after being buried underground for 25 days, news coverage showed them being carried from a make-shift hospital with their eyes covered. What happens to the human eye after light deprivation? Will their eyes recover? Will they be blind? Where can I read more about the effects of light ( and darkness) on the human eye?
Their eyes should be fine.

If you are in a dark room, your eyes will naturally turn up the sensitivity to gather as much light as possible. In bright light, such as at the beach, your eyes turn down the sensitivity.

After being in the darkness for some time, the miner's eyes were likely slow to adapt so their eyes were sensitive to the bright lights. Their eyes should adapt without any ill effects.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
after 25 days of light deprivation how long would it take their eyes to readjust? I'm looking for an illustration of what happens to our soul's vision when we submerse ourselves in moral darkness. Optically speaking your answer indicates that our souls naturally turn up their light sensitivity as they long for the light. Once we've returned to moral light our eyes will again adjust as long as we remain in the Light. Would you agree?
It is difficult to say the exact time frame the eye takes to readjust. I would estimate within a week, but possibly longer.

Your last statement is very insightful. I agree that if we remain in the light, our eyes will do do the same.

Remember to press the accept button if I have been helpful.