Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I am 55, and just within the last 15 min. developed an eye

problem. I see a...
I am 55, and just within the last 15 min. developed an eye problem. I see a C shaped undulating light ring in the left side of my left eye. I see it even with my eyes closed. Is this an emergency?
8/4/2009
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Hi cindysu34,

I have read your question. Are you still seeing the light? Any floaters in that left eye? When did it start? Have you had eye surgery before?

No. I have never had eye problems other than reading glasses and dry eye.

This came on suddenly and lasted about 20 min. It was about 6pm today when it started, so it has been gone now for about an hour and a half. I am not diabetic

You are experiencing flashes of light coming from your eye. This is a symptom of a posterior vitrous detachment (PVD). You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time, this gel material liquifies and collapses on itself. As this happens, it also starts to pull away from the walls of the eye. As it pulls away, it can also stimulate the retina and cause you to see these C shape flashes of light.

A PVD is a normal occurance and happens to many people in your age group. A many people, they don't know anything is happening at all. If you have symptoms, however, such as your flashes, you need to see an ophthalmologist for a dilated retinal exam to check for any tears holes.

You can call your ophthalmologist for an appointment in the morning..

If you see a sudden showering of dark floaters, increase in flashes (more than is currently happening), or a shadow/veil in your peripheral vision, then you should contact your ophthalmologist promptly.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any addtional questions.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James