How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband lost eyesight in his right eye momentarily, but

Resolved Question:

My husband lost eyesight in his right eye momentarily, but his sight came back. He had no pain. He said it was like he could see only a small opening and then when sight returned, it was like shade was lifted, but vision was regained top to bottom of eye. Should he go to emergency room or just make appoinment with eye doctor this week?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for your question. How old is your husband? One eye or both eyes? Any numbness or tingly sensation in his arms or legs? Any other medical problems and medication he is taking?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Mike is 58 years old; vision lost suddenly for about 2-3 minutes in right eye only. No numbness or tingly sensation in his arms or legs. No other medical problems. He had colonoscopy on Thursday with general anesthetic, and he also use tylenol pm at night. He felt no pain when his vision was taken, during or when it was restored.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
This is concerning, but does not need to go to the ER at this time.

He is having symptoms of amaurosis fugax (or TIA - transient ischemic attack). Our blood vessels builds up plaque over our lifetime. Piece of these plaques can travel up to the eye and temporarily block the blood flow (causing your husband's symptoms). It can sometimes travel up to the brain and cause symptoms of a stroke (slurred speech, loss of fine motor skills, numbness or tingly sensations).

He needs to see his general doctor for lab work and ultrasound of his arteries in this neck. If he has symptoms of a stroke that I mentioned above, then he would need immediate attention.

He should also be seen by his ophthalmologist to make sure everything is OK with his eyes.

Remember to press the green accept button. It was a pleasure helping you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional followup questions.
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you