Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

My daughter has had a swollen eye lid for the past 6 months.

my daughter has had a swollen eye lid for the past 6 months. she was seen three times by her eye doctor. the first time she was treated with antibiotics and steroid drops. After a month her eye lid was still swollen and a molluscum was discovered and removed from her lower lid. After a month she still had a swollen eyelid, although not quite as swollen. Her last doctor's visit showed no other eye problems except her eyelid swelling. Any ideas? Her doc is a pediatric eye specialist, but maybe it is something else.?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

How old is your daughter? What medications/eye drops has she tried?

Any vision changes? Medical problems?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

prednisolone(sp) steriod drops two weeks, vigamox,zylet and pataday are the medications she has taken. No vision changes, she just had a comprehensive eye exam and everything was normal. The swollen eye is not painful either.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
she is 12 years old
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. This is very helpful.

The molluscum could be causing her presistently swollen eyelid. Molluscum is a virus. Each skin lesion can have many virus particles and when it erupts can infect the conjunctiva (clear covering of the eye) and cause a chronice follicular conjunctivitis.

There are not many other things that can cause a swollen eyelid. Most common is bacterial infection (such as cellulitis or styes). Those are self-limiting should not be present for 6 months.

You should talk to your pediatric ophthalmologist to see if he feels the molluscum is the reason. Your other option my be to seek a second opinion for confirmation.

Remember to press the accept button. It was a pleasure helping with you with your question. Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The molluscum was removed over two months ago... shouldn't the virus be gone by now?
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
The virus exist in the skin lesions and causes the conjunctivitis by shedding into the eye. Often times, multiple skin lesions can exists. So, if the conjunctivitis is persistent, then it would be prudent to look for more lesions.

The improvement may be slow. If it continues to improve, then I would stay the course and continue with the current diagnosis.