Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
9208484

Over night, a blood vessel broke in my eye and a little

Over night, a blood vessel broke in my eye and a little blood blister formed in the white part of my eye. What should I do about the blister that has formed?
What you are describing is a subconjunctival hemorrhage. The blood vessels in the conjunctiva (white portion of eye) are very fragile. They can bleed easily on a minor trauma like excessive rubbing of eyes, a minor hit to eye or forehead etc. The most common cause is sudden increase in blood pressure or a bleeding disorder.
The hemorrhage usually resolves by itself slowly taking 2-3 weeks. If you are not having any symptoms like blurring of vision in that eye then there is no need to worry. Just get your blood pressure checked to rule out high blood pressure. If there are repeated episodes of subconjunctival hemorrhage, then you need to be investigated for bleeding disorders.
Regards
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Will the blood blister that has formed just pop on it's own?
no, mostly it gets absorbed slowly on its own.
Regards