Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

What causes sudden and severe eye pain and watering?

Customer Question
what causes sudden and severe eye pain and watering?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
7/25/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Any trauma to the eyes? How long has it been going on? One eye or both eyes? Change in vision?
no trauma at all, I was just watching tv. Seems worse while lying down. I washed my hands and looked into my eye with a flashlight but I don't see anything. It comes and goes in waves and at it's peak, it's very painful. I flused it with lubricating eye drops several times. It's been going on for about 2 1/2 hours
You can be experiencing high pressures in your eyes. Usually on one eye. It can also cause symptoms of nausea and vision changes (such as halos around lights).

The other thing could be a scratch on the surface of the eye. But this is uncommon without any trauma.

I recommend you go to the urgent care to have your eyes check. If it is high pressure in your eyes, it needs to be treated promptly before any you have any damage to your vision.

can I ask what would cause that? I took a 25mg hydroxyzine about 30 minutes ago and it's still watering but the burning feels a little better. Should I still seek emergency treatment?

I am suspecing angle closure glaucoma (high eye pressures). This acute glaucoma is precipitated by dim lighting where the iris (colored part of the eye) widens to let more light in. This can potentially block the drainage system of the eyes and result in increase pressure of the eye.

Yes, you need to seek emergency treatment because it can damage your vision.
Dr. James
thank you Dr. I will take your advice
You are welcome. Thank you for the positive feedback. I hope everything turns out well.
Dr. James
Dr. James