How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cut my sclera this morning with a tissue. It does not

Resolved Question:

I cut my sclera this morning with a tissue. It does not hurt, but there is some discomfort like a foreign body. I can see a flap dangling below my pupil. I put in some OTC drops for comfort and wonder what else I should/could do. Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.

What kind of tissue was it? is the flap clear? Where is exactly the dangling part (over the colored part? whites of the eyes?

Dr. Khu
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It was a piece of toilet tissue...I was cleaning my mascara and obviously ran it across the inside of my eye. It is not on the cornea at all....put actually just under it. The flap is clear.....
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
Hi Moonfish,

The sclera is the white part of the eye. There's a clear covering over the the sclera called the conjunctiva.

I can't imagine the toilet paper being strong enough to cut a flap of the conjunctiva. I would also expect some discomfort if that was the case.

A possibility could be that a piece of that tissue broke off and is on the surface of your eye. You may consider rinsing your eye with artificial tears or eye wash (commonly found at pharmacy).

If indeed it's a cut of the conjunctiva and not a big one, then it should heal on it's own. Lubricate with artificial tears or ointment. I would recommend seeing an eye specialist on Monday so they see the exent of the flap.

If they are extremely large, then one option is the place stitch, though this is an uncommon scenario.

Please press ACCEPT if I have answered your question. Best of luck to you.

Dr. Khu
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you. Whatever it is, there is something attached and uncomfortable. However, I will plan to continue rinsing and lubricating and will see my opthalmologist tomorrow.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
You're welcome. If possible, I'd like to know what the opthalmologist thinks about the flap tomorrow. If you have more pain, change in vision, you may need to seek attention earlier.