Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

Mt husband has a thin line around the edge of his iris - can

mt husband has a thin...
mt husband has a thin white line around the edge of his iris - can you please give me an answer as I know the iris gives a great deal of information. His age is 77
7/12/2009
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Are you referring to the white line around the cornea (the black portion of our eye)? If yes, then the white line is called Arcus Sinelis. This is a normal white band which is formed with age. It's caused by fat (lipid) deposits deep in the edge of the cornea. Arcus senilis doesn't affect vision, nor does it require treatment.
Regards
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Thank you for your answer - perhaps I was wrongly describing this - the thin white line is on the outer edge of the colour part of the eye [in his case blue] I said iris which is the central spot? Sorry for mis-information.
The central spot is the pupil. The blue part is the iris. I am sending you a link of photographs of arcus sinellis. Do let me know if you are talking of the same thing

http://www.tidsskriftet.no/lts-img/2004/L04-11-Med-07-02.jpg

http://mba-aviation.com/typo3temp/pics/de918a8828.jpg

In these patients the color of the iris is not blue.
Regards
Thank you so much for the answer, it is just what I wanted - age related and no problem,Customer
You are most welcome
Regards
Dr. PG
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist