Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

For whatever reason my eyes have just started burning,

For whatever reason my eyes have just started burning, watering, and I am light senstive. This has happened several times, the doctors thought it was conjunctivitis but the antibiotic/steriod drops just seem to hold it off. As soon as I stop taking them my eyes flare up again. It only lasts anywhere between 1.5 to 3 hours and then just clears up. It is not every day.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer

How old are you? Any other medical problems? Have you been to an eye doctor before? Any change in vision?

Dr. Khu
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Dr. Khu,

I will be 28 next month. I have not had any change in vision, my eyes are still 20/20. I also forgot to mention after an episode like this my eyes feel stressed and tired. I had one yesterday and they still feel like that. The only other medical problem I have is the MTHFR gene mutation. I also have hyper extended ligaments but I don't think that would apply.

Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
You likely have a tear film disturbance. The tear film is made of 3 layers: a mucous layer, watery layer, and oily layer. The oil layer is exposed to the enviroment and helps minimize evaporation.

Most younger people with poor tear film will be due to a disturbance in that layer. The oils comes from glands within your eyelids. If you look carefully, you might be able to see them behind the eyelashes.

To unclog them, use warm compresses (damp towel in microwave for about 30 seconds). This will soften the oil plugs. Afterwards, apply gentle pressure to the eyelids to express any oils from the glands. Then, using diluted baby shampoo, use the pads of your fingers to scrub at bases of your eyelashes (with eye closed).

Use artificial tears during the day time, about 4-6 times a day. You may check with an eye doctor to see how severe the dry eyes is as well to see if other parts of the tear film is affected.

Dr. Khu