Eye

Ask an Eye Doctor and Get an Answer ASAP

Ask a Doctor,

Eye

I have systemic lupes erythematosus. I am also taking

Customer Question
I have systemic lupes erythematosus...
I have systemic lupes erythematosus. I am also taking Hydroxychloroquine to treat my lupes and ondansetron for vomiting and nausea caused by the chemotherapy. I am trying to determine if my boyfriend hit me after we were arguing in my car in front of his house. I think I fainted or I fell asleep for 2 or 3 minutes, and when I woke up or came to I screamed. My boyfriend was no longer in the car. I saw him walking to his front door. My face was hurting. I drove home crying and my vision was off. When I got home, I noticed that my right eye was swollen shut. He said that he did not hit me. He claims as he was walking to his door, he heard me scream, he looked back and thought I was still yelling at him when he saw what he thought was me banging my head into my steering wheel before I drove off.   I cannot remember what happened. Could it have been an allergic reaction to my medication or a result of my lupes condition. Should I report it to my doctor?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Eye
7/10/2009
Eye Doctor: Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist replied 8 years ago
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
HiCustomer

Sorry to hear about your troubles. From your list of medication/problems, the ondansetron could have made you tired enough to pass out. Being ill requiring chemotherapy can add to that.

It seems that you many many things going on. You should definitely report it to you doctor. Make sure your primary doctor is aware off ALL your medications including any over the counter drugs and herbal medications you may be taking. He can help look for interactions and remove some of the unnecessary ones to avoid a future incident.

Dr. Khu
Are you saying that my boyfriend did not hit me? What would have caused my eye to just swell up like that if he did not hit me?
Your boyfriend hitting you is a possibility. You passing out and hitting your head on something is a possibility. It would not be my place to say what happen. If you believe your boyfriend hit you, you may think about filing a police report.
One more question before I accept.

How can I file a police report if I don't know for sure that he hit me. I am not a witness to it. I don't remember. Is it possible that my lupes could have caused my eye to swell shut and it has nothing to do with my eye being hit? What do you know about my condition?
I think you can still file a police report and have a paper record to build a case for the future. You are right that it'll be difficult since it's his story against yours, and your story is less trustworthy because of the medication.

A picture in the police file may help your case since the injuries fit the story, but I imagine his defense is accidental trauma.

It sounds like something happend during the time you were passed out. Lupus can cause dry eyes and puffiness at times, but usually not bad enough to be confused with being punched.

You're in a difficult position. I'm sorry about that. It would be helpful to review your medication list with your doctor to minimize the chance of a drug reaction.
Dr. James
Dr. James
Dr. James