How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. James Your Own Question
Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2286
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother has been to optmitrists, the family doctor, and

Resolved Question:

my mother has been to optmitrists, the family doctor, and anyone else we could think of. she has a what apears to be a infection in he eye or tear duct, it has even made the sid eof her face swell. the secretions are usually clear,like she is crying all the time,but sometimes it is pussy oreven green and think. She has recently started milkin a thick gel like fluid. the docs have told her allergies and or dry eye symdrom. she has has this for about five years now. any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.
Hello redmonkey04,

I am currently answering your question. If you can stay online, I'll have a response for you shortly.

Dr. Khu
Expert:  Dr. James replied 8 years ago.

Dry eyes can be the cause of the tearing or mucous dischange. The other cause could be a tear duct blockage, common in older patients.

Tears normally drain from the inside corner of the eye into the nose (that is why your nose gets runny when you cry). Adults can get blockage of the opening in the nose end. This can cause tears to well up and overflow. The sac between the eyes and nose serve as a resevoir and with the blockage and be engorged and secondary inflamed (dacryocystitis). If it gets infected, it'll need antibiotics.

You ophthlamologist should be able to check for the patency of the tear duct A procedure done in the office. If it is blocked, an current infection is treated and surgery may be necessary to create an opening in the nose.

Dr. Khu
Dr. James and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you