Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

I have been getting flashes in my line of vision. Went to my

Customer Question

I have been getting white flashes in my line of vision. Went to my GP and she checked my eye and said there could be a small detachment from the retina. Had to go back two days later. She checked them again and said my eye was okay. I am still getting the flashes mainly going from a lighted romm into a darker room. I suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks.
Any help would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Carol.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello there

what is your age? how long has this been going on? have you been seen by an ophthalmologist? has the eye been examined after a pupil dilation using eye drops?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hello Doctor,

Been going on for three weeks now. I just spoke to my doctor and she is going to speak to my optomotrist (spelling) and she what he says. I have been going to the optomotrist now for 21 years.

No other tests have been done only by my GP looking in my eye.

I am 63 years old.

You are having what we call photopsias. The back of the eyeball is full of a gel called vitreous. This gel is intimately attached to the retina and as we age, this gel liquifies, shrinks and pulls away from the retina. The separation of the gel from the retina causes flashes of light to be seen, often off to the side in an arc pattern. If there is a weak spot in your retina, the gel may cause a tear to be formed. You should get your eyes examined in the next week or two to make sure there is no retinal tear. You need to be seen much sooner if you get new floaters, or a significant increase in the frequency of flashes as this may indicate a retinal tear. Unfortunately, the GP looking in the eye is not nearly good enough of an exam, even for the best GP. Hope this helps.

Dr. Stevens

Ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you Dr Stevens. My doctor said if the flashes were still there on Thursday to ring her back and she would book me in for a vivit to a opthalmlogist.

Many thanks must appreciated.

Carol Gregson

Caloundra Queensland Australia.

Hello Carol

I would actually encourage a visit to the ophthalmologist irregardless, I wish you well, Dr Stevens

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank you I will try but with these panic attacks I don't know how I'll go.

Carol.

I understand Carol, just remember, things are easier to treat when they are caught early rather than late, I wish you well. If you felt I answered the questions to your satisfaction, please dont forget to press accept, Regards *****
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I did press accept on the second question.

Thank you so very much.

Bye for now.

Carol

you have not pressed ACCEPT for this particular question at any point in time, would you like me to have a customer service rep to look into it ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Sorry I thought I did. Have done it now.

Many thanks again.

Carol.

You are welcome, I wish you the best, Regards