How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. PG Your Own Question
Dr. PG
Dr. PG, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 2337
Experience:  MBBS, MD (Ophthalomology)
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. PG is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have has Jaw neck and back and balance problems for almost

Customer Question


I have has Jaw neck and back and balance problems for almost 20 years other than that I am a fit and healthy 40 year old male.
After many years I have tracked the problem down to my eyesight. My Opthalmist cannot give any advice as to what is happening and I am confused
Here are the symptoms,
If I have no vision correction wear my specs or use contact lens prescription -4.25R and -4.75L when I close my right eye my left eye has to squint so much that it causes my facial muscles to contract and my jaw to close. If I put sunglasses on my face relaxes and my jaw opens in all scenarios. When I close my left eye to just let my right eye do the 'seeing' my face remains relaxed. Both eyes in combination causes my Jaw to be in a closed and a tight mouth.
My Opthalmist as a test gave me some -5.00 to put in my left aye and my jaw doesn't close.
Under all conditions (aside from shades as i can't measure) my left eye is always noticably a little more closed that the right.
Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
From the description given by you, it seems that you are having convergence problem. Your eye muscles are not working properly, that is why your eye is diverging. The treatment for this is doing convergence exercises. Initially you might need to do them on a machine called synaptophore, which is available in a Optometrist/Ophthalmologist office. Subsequently you might need to do the exercises at home. The progress is slow. If despite exercises, the muscles do not improve, then you might need to use prism glasses for sometime.
You need consult an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation and to start you on synaptophore exercises
Dr. PG and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi again,

Just to let you know I tried convergence exercises I found on the net with instant results. My face relaxes and my jaw doesn't close. Having experimented today I have found that left eye does not tollerate bright light. Every time I looked at my computer screen the problem came back however if I turned the brightness right down the problem went away. So from now on I will permanently turn the brightness down. Things were going well until later this afternoon and the sun appeared from behind the clouds and would you believe it the problem returned. So the convergence problem seems to occur due to a difference in tollerance for light in respect to each eye. I have also looked at photos going back many years and on sunny days I can clearly see myself squinting in my left eye.

Just wondered if this additional info helped any further in the diagnosis

I have already pressed the accept prompt as this is potentially a life changing experience for me any further guidance would be much appreciated. Once again many thanks for your contribution.


Steve Hardy

Expert:  Dr. PG replied 8 years ago.
From the information that you have given, the intolerance of brightness of light by your left eye with outward deviation might not be due to convergence weakness only. The occasional deviation of the eye can be due to convergence weakness, but intolerance of bright light cannot be totally explained by convergence weakness. A dilated pupil usually causes intolerance of bright light by an eye, the cause of which can be an insufficiency of the optic nerve of the affected eye.
I would advise you to get a detailed evaluation by an Ophthalmologist for a detailed evaluation.