Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My 85 year old Mother has lower periorbital edema, no other

My 85 year old Mother has lower periorbital edema, no other edema present.   History of MI and stents. No CHF.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 8 years ago.

Hello there

is it both sides? how long has this been an issue? what is your particular question regarding this?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is more edema on the left eye. She is sleeping sitting up in a recliner, her head slightly tilted to the left. This issue was just noticed in the last couple of hours. My question is what could be causing this?

Hello there

The swollen skin is a result of leaky blood vessels and collection of fatty tissue. The delicate capillary beds in the eyelids become more leaky and swollen when when someone is suffering from allergies, an upper respiratory infection, or lack of sleep. Also, patients who are hypothyroid can have more swelling in that area. Cool compresses can help reduce the bagginess, but sometimes it is hard to treat this. Regards, ***** *****