How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. JLB Your Own Question
Dr. JLB, Ophthalmologist
Category: Eye
Satisfied Customers: 86
Experience:  General Ophthalmologist, Fellowship trained in Refractive Surgery
Type Your Eye Question Here...
Dr. JLB is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a high myoph -- left eye -16 and right -14.5. my right

This answer was rated:

I'm a high myoph -- left eye -16 and right -14.5. my right eye drifts inward. slight, but noticeable. is there anything that can be done for this, or do i just learn to live with it.



Can you provide some additional information?


1. Your age and gender?


2. Medical conditions?


3. Are you experiencing double vision?


4. Have you notice this drifting of the right eye all your life or is it recent?


This will help me evaluate your case better...





Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Dr JLB, yep


1. I'm a 54 year old female


2. no medical conditions, generally healthy


3. I wear contacts (synergy -- a hybred hard and soft lens -- the right lens is 20/20 and my left is 20/40 (it can go to 20/20 but i live with it this way to avoid as much right eye drift as possible). Double vision, no but i do notice a difference between the acuity because of the correction.


4. The drifting started a couple of years ago, I think -- my opthamalogist thinks i should be greatful for whatever i can see; is not overly compassionate about what he thinks is a mostly cosmetic issue. Do you know of any really good, nice opthomalogists who dont treat people with high myopia as freaks of nature in the Washington DC area?




Unfortunately, I do not practice in the D.C. area. I do know that John's Hopkins has one of the best ophthalmology departments in the country and you may want to consider seeing one of their doctors.


The drifting is termed a decompensated phoria. This means that the right eye is turning, usually when the patient is tired, due to a muscle overworking or a muscle that is weakening. There aren't many options aside from weakening the prescription in the other eye, which your ophthalmologist is already doing.


Surgery can straighten out the eye, but this is usually performed in children. In adults, this surgery risks developing double vision permanently.


Because this is typically a condition treated surgically in children, the experts in this area are pediatric ophthalmologists. I know it may seem odd, but you may want to consider being evaluated by a peds ophthalmologist. He or she may be able to provide guidance and give all the options that may be available to you.


I know this is a difficult situation, but if your current ophthalmologist is not sympathetic to your concerns then a second opinion may be very helpful.


I hope this helps...





Dr. JLB and other Eye Specialists are ready to help you